TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Target hp speak
People Seeking Info

Subject Target hp speak

Posted by Zsgetyoulaid on November 08, 2016 at 6:16 PM
  This message has been viewed 357 times.

In Reply To 600hp at the crank and supporting mods posted by Felkhar on November 05, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Message A little known gentleman by the name of Galileo once said, "Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.".

Im going to preface this with saying that it isnt bad to have target power figures. This does become an issue though when you start to realize what that does and doesnt mean. A car that hits 450whp that makes a small blip on the dyno chart at 6k rpms isnt that much fun in my opinion. I would much rather have smooth delivery of 450whp by 4.5k-5k and keep it there until I have to shift again.

For these reasons, peak hp doesnt really mean much. There is A LOT to be said about area under the curve and power delivery. Smooth power delivery and making power early in the band is not only much more difficult to accomplish (and consequently more expensive), it also makes the car more fun and manageable. AND, it makes it FASTER. Example: I raced my friends car. My car makes 9 more whp than his at that power level. If you saw the race, youd swear it was at least a 100whp difference. His power is peaky and mine is able to make more power, for a longer period of time along the rpm range. Additionally, weight is a big factor in performance. I got walked by a car that made less than 100whp than mine makes, but he was also ~1000lbs lighter. It wasnt much of a race.
If all you care about is being able to say "my car makes XXXhp", you can hit 450whp with turbos, exhaust, a tune and not much else.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.